Rich, creamy, and luscious with a crown of sticky sweet cherries, Easy Black Forest Cheesecake is the dessert that will turn any meal into an occasion. No judgement if you eat straight from the pan!
Is there anything better than sinking your fork into that first bite of cheesecake and watching its silky texture cling to the tines? Whether it's Salted Caramel Cheesecake or this mashup of the chocolate and cherry classic, it's always an instant crowd pleaser.
What is Black Forest Cake
Black Forest cake is an American cake inspired by the German dessert Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. The American version is usually made up of layers of chocolate sponge cake with a rich and glossy cherry filling. The German dessert gets its name from kirschwasser, a clear brandy made from cherries. Unlike other cherry liquors it isn't sweet, often made from sour cherries.
All good things start with chocolate including the crust of this Easy Black Forest Cheesecake. Using Gluten Free Oreos as the base, this cheesecake combines familiar ingredients with that trademark cherry topping.
- Gluten Free Oreos - Combined with the melted butter, this creates the chocolate crust for the black forest cheesecake.
- Dairy Free Butter - Helps bind the chocolate crust together and give it richness.
- Dairy Free Cream Cheese - Gives this cheesecake its trademark tang and creaminess. Use your favorite brand.
- Dairy Free Sour Cream - Makes this cheesecake extra creamy and luxurious.
- Egg Yolks - The yolks add richness as well as giving this cheesecake its texture.
- Vanilla Extract - The higher the quality the vanilla, the more pronounced the flavor.
- Cherry Pie Filling - Use your favorite variety. This is the crowning glory that gives this cheesecake that black forest flavor.
- Chocolate Chips
How to Make Easy Black Forest Cheesecake
Making homemade cheesecake at home is not only easy, coming together in a few simple steps, but it puts you in total control of all of the ingredients. Once you sink your fork into the first bite of this black forest cheesecake, it will be love at first bite!
Time needed: 6 hours.
A chocolate crust, decadent creamy cheesecake, and glossy jeweled cherry topping make this a dessert to celebrate with.
- In Crust We Trust
Add the Oreos to a blender and pulse until they're a fine crumb. Pour them into a bowl along with the melted butter and mix until combined. Pour the crumb mixture into an 8" or 9" springform pan sprayed with nonstick baking spray. Press firmly. You can use the underside of a measuring cup to help flatten it out. Allow the crust to refrigerate while you prepare the rest of the cheesecake.
Add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 5 minutes. It will become light and airy and most of the sugar will dissolve. Add the cream cheese and mix for another 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 3 more minutes. The mixture will be extremely creamy.
Pour the cream cheese mixture into the prepared crust. Allow the cheesecake to bake for 45 minutes, never opening the oven.
- Cool Down
Let the cheesecake sit on the counter for an hour, coming to room temperature. Transfer the cooled cheesecake to the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 4 hours.
- Top It Off
Top the chilled cheesecake with the cherry pie filling and chocolate chips. Enjoy!
This cheesecake recipe is completely Glute Free and Dairy Free. However, you can make the exact same recipe with both regular Oreos, and also full dairy products. The measurements will be the same.
In addition, have fun swapping out the pie filling for the topping. While it won't be a Black Forest cheesecake, it will be equally as delicious. Both strawberry pie filling and blueberry would work well with the Oreo crust.
Cheesecake is a dessert that is best served chilled or slightly at room temperature. Make sure that when you aren't serving it that it remains refrigerated in either an airtight container or with the springform pan tightly covered in plastic wrap or foil. It will keep for up to five days in the refrigerator.
How to Tell If Cheesecake Is Done
Oven temperatures greatly vary. While you shouldn't open your oven door during that first 45 minutes of baking, you may need to bake your cheesecake for a little additional time. To make sure that your cheesecake is done, give it the jiggle test. Wearing oven mitts, gentle move it back and forth. If the cheesecake only slightly jiggles, it is done. It will continue to set up as it cools.
You can also give it the touch test. Gently touch the top center of the cheesecake. If it's firm but still with some give, it is done. Keep in mind that cheesecakes made with sour cream will be slightly more jiggly than all cream cheese based cheesecakes.
Last, you can always use an instant read thermometer to test the temperature. If the internal temperature of the cheesecake is 150 degrees, it is done. Make sure that you only test the center and don't touch the bottom of the pan and the crust.
Top Tip for Easy Black Forest Cheesecake
Cheesecake is all about that amazing rich, creamy texture. To help your cheesecake filling come together quickly and ensure that it is completely lump free, make sure that all of your ingredients are at room temperature. Not just the Dairy Free cream cheese, but also the eggs. This way when the ingredients are added to each other it won't cause the cream cheese to seize up.
Easy Black Forest Cheesecake
- 1 Blender
- 1 8" or 9" springform pan
- 1 mixing bowl/mixer
- 2 ¾ cups Gluten Free Oreos
- 7 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
- 16 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temperature
- 12 oz Dairy Free sour cream
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp vanilla extract
Black Forest Topping
- 21 oz cherry pie filling
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Spray an 8" or 9" springform pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the Oreos to a blender and pulse until they form a fine crumb.
- Add the Oreo crumbs and melted butter to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour the crust mixture into the prepared springform pan and press down. Allow the crust to refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- Add the sugar, egg, yolks, and vanilla to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 5 minutes. The mixture will be light and airy.
- Add the cream cheese and mix for 3 minutes. -
- Add the remaining cheesecake ingredients and mix for another 3 minutes. The mixture will be super creamy.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Allow the cheesecake to bake in the middle rack in the center of the oven for 45 minutes. Do not open the oven door during this time.
- Let the cheesecake cool on the counter for an hour.
- Transfer the cooled cheesecake to the refrigerator and let it refrigerate for at least 4 hours. This can be prepared the day before.
- Top off your cheesecake with the cherry pie filling. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips.
Leave a Reply