Is there anything like that first bite of crème brûlée? The way your spoon cracks through the crispy sugar shell before it sinks into the silky creamy custard is magic every time. Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Creme Brulee is sure to become your new favorite version.
Creme Brulee is one of my favorite desserts. Whether it’s in its purest form, or Gluten and Dairy Free Crème Brûlée Donuts, I love it in all forms. With a few simple tops and tricks you will fall in love with this chocolaty version.
While crème brûlée is a traditionally dairy heavy dessert featuring cream, that doesn’t mean you can’t make a version all of your friends and family will love. Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Creme Brulee is so good, even the most discerning dessert critic will be looking for seconds.
- Egg Yolks – Gives richness to the custard and holds together the crème brûlée.
- Mocha Flavored Sugar – Javamelts Mocha Flavored Sugar gives sweetness to this custard while also reinforcing the chocolate flavor. It is made with all natural ingredients and can be used as an even swap for regular sugar. It’s made from 100% pure cane sugar.
- Dairy Free Heavy – Country Crock Plant Cream can be used in any recipe that calls for heavy cream. However use your favorite Dairy Free cream for this recipe.
- Vanilla Bean Paste – Adds intense vanilla flavor along with vanilla beans.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate – Use your favorite. This is the predominant flavor so pick a high-quality chocolate.
- Instant Espresso Powder – Enhances the flavor of the chocolate and gives this dessert depth.
How to Make Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Creme Brulee
There are a few steps to making this luxurious dessert, but they’re all simple. Whether you’re looking to end a Sunday dinner on a special note or need a dessert to celebrate with, this luscious French confection is perfect.
Time needed: 5 hours and 15 minutes
This creamy and dreamy needs to come with a warning and everyone will be fighting over the last ramekin. It will be love at first bite!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add the egg yolks and sugar to a bowl and mix them until they are light and yellow and the sugar is mostly dissolved.
Add the heavy cream, chocolate, vanilla paste, and espresso powder to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Allow it to come to a low boil, bubbles just appearing around the edges but not a rolling boil. Stir to melt the chocolate.
While continuously whisking, drizzle in the chocolate cream mixture to the egg yolks.
Divide the custard base between four ramekins. Place them in an 9×9 baking dish. Carefully pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water into the baking dish to create a steam bath.
Bake the Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Crème Brûlée for 30 minutes.
Allow the chocolate crème brûlée to come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Allow it to refrigerate for at least 4 hours. This can be made the day before.
Sprinkle sugar over the top of your crème brûlée and use a kitchen torch to lightly melt and caramelize it. You can also briefly put them under the broiler.
If you don’t have mocha flavored sugar, you can substitute regular sugar in this recipe. In addition, you can also use a high-quality vanilla extract in this recipe in place of the vanilla paste.
- Saucepan – Cream mixture for this Dairy Free crème brûlée gets scalded along with the chocolate before being mixed in with the egg yolks. You only need a small saucepan.
- Ramekins – This recipe will make four regular sized ramekins.
- 8×8 Baking Dish – This dessert is cooked in a water bath. Make sure the sides of your baking dish are at least 2″ tall.
This dessert needs to remain refrigerated until ready to serve. They will keep for 4-6 days in the refrigerator.
Top Tip for Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Creme Brulee
Baking your Dairy Free crème brûlée in a water bath is what gives it that silky, delicate texture. The steam created from the water keeps it from becoming too hard or cooking too fast. When adding your water to your baking dish, be careful not to splash it into your ramekins and only fill the water halfway up. You can add the water to your baking dish at the oven to prevent it from splashing if desired.
Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Creme Brulee
- 1 saucepan
- 1 8×8 baking dish
- 4 ramekins
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/3 cup mocha flavored sugar, plus extra for topping can substitute with regular sugar
- 2 cups Dairy Free heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate, shaved
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the egg yolks and sugar to a bowl and whisk together until it has lightened in color and the sugar has mostly dissolved.
- Add the cream, espresso powder, chocolate, and vanilla bean paste to a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir until chocolate is melted. Bring to a low boil where there are bubbles just beginning to form around the edges, but it is not fully boiling.
- Remove from the heat.
- Slowly drizzle the warm chocolate-cream mixture int the egg mixture while continually whisking.
- Divide the custard between the four ramekins.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of boiling water to an 8×8 baking dish.
- Carefully place the ramekins into the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the ramekins to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp of sugar on top of each Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Crème Brûlée.
- Use a kitchen torch to melt and caramelize the sugar.