Creamy, dreamy, and comforting, risotto is one of those dishes that is equal parts elegant and indulgent. This Dairy Free Easy Pumpkin Risotto with Sage is a seasonal take on the classic Italian dish.
Risotto is one of my favorite cozy and comforting dishes. Whether it's utilizing summer's bounty like Dairy Free Seared Scallops with Corn Risotto or this cold weather version, it's always delicious. With just a few simple steps this one dish recipe is perfect for any night of the week.
Not only does Dairy Free Easy Pumpkin Risotto with Sage come together in only thirty minutes, it also only has a handful of ingredients, most of which are pantry staples. Combining warm and earthy spices with the velvety texture of pumpkin puree, this is sure to become a new classic in your cooking repertoire.
- Risotto Rice - Arborio is the classic rice for risotto. You want a short grain rice that is high in starch. This helps create the trademark creamy consistency.
- Garlic - Adds a savory note that balances the natural sweetness of the pumpkin.
- Dairy Free Butter
- Kosher Salt - Enhances all of the flavors of the ingredients.
- Black Pepper - Adds an earthy hint of spice.
- Ancho Chili Powder - This dried form of the poblano pepper is fruity like a raisin and pairs well with the pumpkin without adding heat.
- Pumpkin Seasoning - Pick your favorite variety. The warm of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice compliments the pumpkin.
- Dairy Free Heavy Cream - Creates the silky texture of this pumpkin risotto recipe.
- Vegetable Broth - Adds a savory note and helps cook the rice.
- Pumpkin Puree - Make sure you use pumpkin puree. Adds both texture but also a delicate sweetness.
- Sage - Woodsy and aromatic, sage is the perfect finishing touch.
How to Make Dairy Free Pumpkin Risotto with Sage
Time needed: 25 minutes.
Silky pumpkin puree and warm spices make this creamy risotto a cold weather comfort food.
Heat your grill to 400-450 degrees.
Add your butter, rice, and garlic to a grill safe pan and place it on the heated grates. Allow the butter to fully melt.
Add your spices, broth, and pumpkin puree. Stir until most of the liquid has absorbed into the rice.
Once the rice is almost cooked stir in the heavy cream. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the risotto has thickened and the rice is cooked through.
- Finishing Touch
Top your Dairy Free pumpkin risotto with fresh sage and enjoy!
This recipe for pumpkin risotto is completely Dairy Free. However, you can use regular butter and heavy cream. The measurements and process will be the same.
This recipe was made on the Aspire by Hestan grill. The ceramic briquettes provide consistent and even heat, making it easy to create this pumpkin risotto all on the grill.
This Dairy Free Easy Risotto with Sage was made in the Hestan NanoBond cookware. This Italian crafted cookware is ideal for the grill as it is high heat resistant up to 1050 degrees. It's scratch, stain, and stick resistant and completely free of toxins.
Risotto makes for delicious leftovers for an easy lunch. Keep it stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will keep for 3-4 days. You can either reheat it on the stove or grill, or in the microwave.
Add Ins for Dairy Free Easy Pumpkin Risotto with Sage
This risotto is hearty and delicious on its own, but it is also a great base for additional flavors. Serve this along your favorite grill protein as a side. You can also add additional vegetables to this to make it even heartier. Broccoli florets can be added when you add the heavy cream to this risotto recipe. In addition, you can also stir in spinach three minutes before the risotto is done to wilt it in.
Top Tip for Dairy Free Easy Risotto with Sage
The key to a creamy and dreamy risotto is the stirring. It helps draw out the starches of the rice creating that silky texture. Fire up the grill, pour a glass of wine, and enjoy the process. Dinner will be done before you know it!
Dairy Free Easy Pumpkin Risotto with Sage
- 1 stockpot
- 1 ½ cups risotto rice such as Arborio
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp ancho chili powder
- ½ tsp pumpkin seasoning
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup Dairy Free heavy cream
- optional chopped fresh sage for topping
- Heat your grill to 400-450 degrees.
- Add the butter, rice, and garlic to a grill safe pot and place on the grill. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Once the butter is melted stir in the seasonings, pumpkin puree, and broth.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, continue stirring.
- Once most of the liquid has absorbed and the rice is almost completely cooked stir in the heavy cream.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until it has thickened, and the rice is fully cooked.
- Top with fresh sage if desired. Enjoy!