Tender, moist, delicately sweet, and filled with a sunny pop of lemony curd, Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd is a spring time celebration for the senses. The Easter time classic coconut cake gets a bright update with the addition of silky smooth and tart lemon curd.
Coconut cake is the right answer anytime of year but there is just something about spring that makes this slightly tropical confection extra special. Whether it’s a classic Coconut Cake with Toasted Coconut Frosting or this lemony creation, it never lasts long.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Balance of Flavors – This cake is that perfect balance of sweet, but not overly sweet. The cake itself is lightly sweet while the lemon curd adds a bright tang.
- Texture – As soon as you sink your fork into this moist cake, you will fall in love. It’s impossibly tender and people won’t believe that it’s Gluten Free.
- Ingredients – You have complete control over the ingredients in this recipe. Skip the boxed mix. This recipe is Gluten Free and Dairy Free but you can easily adapt it to include dairy if you like.
Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd combines pantry staples like sugar and Gluten Free flour with fresh ingredients like lemon. It is as easy to shop for as it is to devour a slice…no crumb left behind.
- Gluten Free Flour – Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour is my go to flour for both sweet and savory recipes. It makes it easy to measure without having to add any additional ingredients.
- Sugar – Adds sweetness to the cake and also the lemon curd.
- Egg Whites – Gives this cake its airy, delicate texture.
- Unsweetened Dairy Free Yogurt – I used a coconut milk based yogurt for this. Adds additional moisture and the tang balances the sweetness.
- Coconut Milk – Makes this cake Dairy Free while adding even more coconut flavor.
- Dairy Free Butter – Gives this cake its texture and adds richness.
- Extracts – Almond, vanilla, and coconut extracts give this cake a depth of flavor. Use the highest quality extracts for the best flavor.
- Baking Powder/Baking Soda
- Kosher Salt – Enhances the flavors of all of the ingredients.
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes – Coconut cake is all about the flakes of coconut. Gives it its flavor and texture.
- Egg Yolks – Used to create the rich and silky texture of the curd.
- Lemon – Both the zest and the juice give intense lemon flavor to the homemade lemon curd.
How to Make Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd
While there are a few steps to making this coconut cake, they’re all easy. You can even make the lemon curd ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to use it.
Time needed: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Tender and moist coconut cake is filled with tangy, smooth lemon curd.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8″ round cake pans with nonstick spray and set aside.
Add the butter, extracts, and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes. It should be light and fluffy.
Add the egg whites, yogurt, and coconut milk and mix to combine.
Add the dry ingredients and mix until they’re just combined.
Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans. Allow the cakes to bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer them to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- Lemon Curd
Add all the ingredients for the lemon curd to a bowl and whisk to completely combine. Pour the mixture into a saucepan over medium-low heat and continuously stir for 10-15 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool. You can place a piece of plastic wrap over the curd to prevent a film from forming on top.
- Finishing touch
Place the first cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Top it with the lemon curd and spread it out. Place the second cake on top. Use your favorite frosting to finish off the cake and sprinkle with extra coconut if desired.
The recipe uses gluten free and dairy free ingredients. However, you can make the same recipe with regular all purpose flour and all dairy ingredients. The measurements will be the same.
Because of the eggs in the lemon curd, this cake is best refrigerated. Keep it stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator and it will last for up to a week. When you’re ready to serve it remove it from the fridge and let it sit out and come to room temperature if desired.
The lemon curd can be made several days in advance. Allow it to cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container. You can place a piece of plastic wrap over the top if desired. Keep it refrigerated until ready to use. It will also last for up to a week.
Top Tip for Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd
Make sure to let your butter come to room temperature before mixing together your batter. This will give you a creamy, fluffy texture. It also helps to allow your egg whites to come to room temperature. This way when they’re added to the butter they won’t cause the warmer butter to seize up.
Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd
- 2 8" round cake pans
- 1 mixing bowl/mixer
- 1 saucepan
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 oz unsweetened Dairy Free yogurt I used coconut
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8" round cake pans with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add the butter, sugar, and extracts to a bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg whites, yogurt, and coconut milk and mix to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Allow the cakes to bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the cakes to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- Place the first cake on a serving plate or cake stand. Top with the lemon curd and spread out.
- Stack the second cake on top.
- Frost with your favorite frosting. Garnish with coconut flakes if desired.
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Continually stir for 10-15 minutes until the mixture has thickend.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool completely.