Hey there, brunch lovers! Today, I’ve got a treat that will make your taste buds swoon—Cherry Almond Danish!
Imagine a flaky, buttery pastry enveloping a luscious almond paste, topped with juicy cherries, and finished with a sweet almond glaze. It’s a delightful dance of flavors and textures that will have you reaching for seconds (or thirds, no judgment here!).
Whether you’re hosting a brunch get-together or simply want to indulge in a decadent treat, this Cherry Almond Danish is the way to go!
Why You’ll Love Cherry Almond Danish
- A Symphony of Sweet and Nutty Goodness: Brace yourself for a flavor sensation like no other! The almond paste brings a rich, nutty essence that perfectly complements the tangy burst of cherries. This delectable pairing dances on your palate, creating a harmonious blend of sweet and tart that’s pure bliss.
- Baking Magic with Homemade Danish Dough: Making the dough from scratch may sound daunting, but trust me, it’s worth it! With a perfect balance of butter, milk, and yogurt, this dough rises to an airy, tender goodness that will have you wondering why you ever settled for store-bought pastries.
- A Gorgeous Treat for Any Occasion: This Cherry Almond Danish is not only scrumptious but also a stunning addition to any brunch spread. The crisscrossed dough embracing the delightful filling looks like a work of art on your baking sheet. Prepare to impress your guests (or yourself!) with this pastry masterpiece.
Ingredients You Need To Make Cherry Almond Danish
- Water (warm)
- Kosher salt
- Instant active yeast
- Greek yogurt
- Gluten-free flour (1.1 GF)
- Almond paste
- Egg yolks
- Warm water
- Powdered sugar
- Almond extract
How To Make Cherry Almond Danish
- In a mixing bowl, combine Greek yogurt with yeast, honey, and warm water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes bubbly.
- Scald the milk mixture with butter, sugar, and salt in a stockpot. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Add the yeast mixture to the yogurt mixture and slowly pour in the milk mixture while mixing.
- Gradually add the gluten-free flour and mix for an additional 3 minutes until fully incorporated. Allow the dough to rise for 2-3 hours.
- Roll out the dough on parchment paper and spread the almond paste in the center. Add cherries on top.
- Slice the sides of the dough diagonally, then fold one side over the other.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until the dough turns slightly golden brown.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use regular all-purpose flour instead of gluten-free flour?
Absolutely! If you don’t have gluten restrictions, feel free to use regular all-purpose flour for the dough. It’ll still yield a fantastic Cherry Almond Danish.
Can I use other fruits instead of cherries?
Sure thing! While cherries add a delightful tartness, you can get creative and try other fruits like raspberries, blueberries, or even sliced peaches. The sky’s the limit with your fruit choices!
Can I make the dough the night before and bake it in the morning?
You bet! Prepare the dough the night before, cover it tightly, and let it rise in the refrigerator. The next morning, bring it to room temperature before rolling it out and adding the filling.
Cherry Almond Danish
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water warm 110 deg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pkg instant active yeast
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 1/2 cups of 1.1 GF flour + 1/2-1 cup for working the dough.
- 7 oz almond paste
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/8 cup warm water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a mixing bowl add the Greek yogurt.
- In a separate bowl add 1/2 the sugar, yeast, honey & warm water.
- Let sit for 5 mins (should bubble).
- To a stock pot add butter, the rest of the sugar, salt & milk. Scald the milk mixture, the sides will start to bubble (do not boil), remove from heat, set aside to cool partially.
- Add the yeast mixture to the yogurt mixture, then while the mixer is running, slowly add the milk mixture.
- Mix in 1/2 a cup of flour at a time. Once the flour is all incorporated, mix for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove, place in a buttered bowl, cover with saran wrap, place a towel on top.
- Once the dough has doubled in size (approx. 2-3 hrs.).
- Place the dough on parchment paper and roll out to approx. 8×12.
- Place the rolled-out dough and parchment paper onto a 9×13 baking sheet.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Spread out in the center of the dough, approx. 6″ wide.
- 2 cups of pitted cherries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, thawed and drained).
- Add the cherries on top of the almond paste.
- On a diagonal slice the sides of the dough to cross over 1″ wide approx.
- Fold one side, then the opposite side.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- The dough will be slightly golden brown. Remove
- Mix well and brush onto the Danish.
- Sprinkle it with sliced almonds and enjoy!
Darlings, this Cherry Almond Danish is not just a pastry—it’s a showstopper! The blend of almond paste and cherries wrapped in a flaky, buttery embrace is pure magic. Plus, making it from scratch allows you to infuse the entire process with love and creativity.
Whether you’re treating your friends to a lavish brunch or delighting in a special weekend treat, this Cherry Almond Danish will steal the show with its irresistible flavor and artful presentation. So let’s get baking and savor every bite of this delightful brunch masterpiece! Bon appétit!