Summer is here and it’s time to celebrate the sweet burst of the perfect juicy tomato. This BLT Salad with Corn and Avocado will have your taste buds dancing with the combination of smoky, sweet, creamy, and crunchy flavors and textures.
There is nothing like biting into the cool, crisp, and refreshing bite of a fully loaded salad. Whether it’s Grilled Chicken Greek Pasta Salad or this summery bounty of seasonal produces, a well built salad can be both hearty, yet light and refreshing. When the days get hotter keep cool with this delicious and satisfying dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy Process – The only cooking required for this chicken salad recipe is the quick cooking chicken breast or tenders and the bacon. The rest is just chopping and assembly.
- Make Ahead – Portions of this salad can be made well in advance making this perfect for a delicious easy lunch or light and satisfying dinner any night of the week. Both the chicken and bacon can be made a day or two in advance and kept refrigerated until ready to use. The toasted baguette can also be made ahead of time and kept stored in an airtight container for a couple of days.
- Familiar Flavors – This summer salad combines the familiar flavors of a BLT sandwich with the ideal of an Italian panzanella salad. Throw in the homemade ranch dressing and it’s the best combination of a bacon, chicken, ranch salad.
- Texture – There is an explosion of texture in every bite. Creamy avocado, crunchy bacon and croutons, the sweet pop of crisp corn.
There is nothing complicated about making this BLT Salad with Corn and Avocado. The quick cooking process combined with celebrating beautiful seasonal ingredients makes this as easy to shop for as it is to make.
- Chicken – You can use either chicken breast or chicken tenders for this recipe. The lean white meat is high in protein while cooking quickly and being a canvas for flavors.
- Ranch Seasoning – Use your favorite. This is used both to season the chicken and also for the ranch vinaigrette dressing.
- Olive Oil
- Lemons – Gives the ranch vinaigrette its tangy and bright flavor.
- Melissa’s Produce Heirloom Tomatoes – Sweet, juicy, and begging to be eaten right off the cutting board. These gorgeous tomatoes are the star of this salad.
- Dijon Mustard – Helps emulsify the salad dressing while also giving it a pop of bold and tangy flavor.
- Avocado – This adds a creamy and buttery texture and also richness.
- Bacon – Pick a thick cut bacon for this recipe for maximum flavor and texture.
- Corn – This adds summery sweetness and a fun little crisp crunch to every bite.
- Baby Spinach – This mild green packs a ton of nutrition while creating the perfect delicate bed for all of the bold ingredients.
- Baguette – There is nothing like the flavor and crunch of homemade croutons, especially when toasted in bacon fat.
How to Make BLT Salad with Corn and Avocado
Crispy, crunchy, savory, yet naturally sweet, this fully loaded salad has it all. With the double dose of meat and generous chunks of homemade croutons it’s hearty enough for a dinner. However the freshness of the tomatoes, corn, and avocado make this light enough to have you eating this all summer long.
Time needed: 1 hour
Ranch seasoned chicken, smokey bacon, rich avocado, and sweet corn and tomatoes make this a salad worth celebrating.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
Season the chicken with the ranch seasoning and kosher salt. Place it in the baking dish and allow it to bake for 15-20 minutes or until its internal temperature reads 165 from the thickest part of the chicken. Let cool enough to handle and then give it a chop.
- Bacon Makes Everything Better
Add your bacon to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook it until it’s crispy, turning it occasionally. Allow it to cool on a paper towel lined plate and then give it a chop. No judgement if you steal a bite or two.
Add the cubed baguette to the same pan with the bacon drippings. Turn the cubes occasionally, allowing all sides to brown to golden and get crispy. Set aside.
Place the corn in a pot of water and bring it to a boil. As soon as the corn turns a bright yellow immediately remove it from the pot and allow it to drain. Let it cool enough to handle and then remove the kernels from the cobb.
- Ranch Vinaigrette
Add the remaining ranch seasoning, salt, olive oil, mustard, and lemon juice to a bowl and whisk to combine.
Add the baby spinach, corn, tomatoes, chicken, bacon, and croutons to a large serving bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the top and gently toss to combine and fully coat the ingredients. Top the salad with the avocado slices and enjoy!
It’s summer and grilling season is in full effect! Give your salad that addition layer of smokey flavor and fire up the grill. You can grill the chicken and corn for this recipe. You can also use leftover grilled chicken and corn making this chicken salad that much faster.
How to Make This Recipe Dairy Free
The ranch seasoning is the only ingredient in this recipe that may contain dairy. You can easily make this recipe dairy free by using a variety that doesn’t contain dairy in it. The measurements will be the same.
How to Make This Recipe Gluten Free
The baguette for the homemade croutons is the only ingredient that may contain gluten. You can easily make this recipe completely gluten free simply by using a gluten free baguette. You will toast the croutons in the bacon fat the same way.
Top Tips for BLT Salad with Corn and Avocado
- Removing corn kernels from the cobb can occasionally have you chasing errant kernels around the kitchen. To make the process easier and keep the kernels contained, place a small bowl upside down into the center of a large bowl. Place the bottom of the corn cobb onto the top of the small bowl. When you slice your kernels off they will collect into the larger bowl instead of all over your counter.
- If you slice your avocados in advance or assemble your salad early, squeeze lemon or lime juice onto the avocado slices. This will slow down the oxidation process and keep them that happy shade of green longer.
BLT Salad with Corn and Avocado
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 Baking Dish
- 1 pot
- 1 Serving bowl
- 1 lbs chicken tenders or chicken breast
- 2 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 Melissa's Produce heirloom tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lbs thick cut bacon
- 2 ears corn
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 baguette, large cubes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Season the chicken with 1 tbsp of ranch seasoning and 1 tsp of salt. Place into the baking dish.
- Let the chicken cook for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees. Let cool enough to handle.
- Chop the chicken into large chunks and set aside.
- Add the bacon to a large skillet over medium heat. Let cook until both sides are crispy, turning occasionally. Remove the bacon from the skillet and allow it to drain on a paper towel lined plate. Give it a rough shop.
- Add the baguette cubes to the same skillet with the bacon drippings. Allow all sides to brown to golden and get crispy. Remove from the pan.
- Add the corn to a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Let cook until it turns bright yellow. Remove it from the pot and allow it to drain and cool.
- Cut the kernels of corn off the cobb and set aside.
- Add the olive oil, 1 tbsp of ranch, 1/2 tsp of salt, lemon juice, and mustard to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the baby spinach, chicken, bacon, tomato chunks, corn, and croutons to a bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the top. Gently toss to combine.
- Arrange the avocado slices over the top of the salad.