Move over filet-O-fish. This Baked Fish Sandwich with Dill Tartar Sauce will give you everything you crave about a savory, flaky, and tender fish sandwich with fresh and delicious ingredients, perfect for any night of the week.
Tender baked tilapia, tangy, bright, and creamy tartar sauce, all sandwiches between a pillowy bun with all of the fresh toppings. Skip the take out and make this yourself! Don't forget the Southern Classic Potato Salad for the perfect side.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quality of Ingredients - Unlike take out you know all of the ingredients in this fish sandwich. Not only can you control the quality, but you can also easily make this Gluten Free by using your favorite buns. Baking the fish is also a heart healthy option for this lean and quick cooking protein.
- Quick Cooking - Unlike fried fish which requires creating a breading station, this bakes up quickly in only about 15 minutes. Plus, it makes for easy cleanup!
- Easy Process - Just season your tilapia and pop it into the oven. It is that easy! Anyone can make these fresh and delicious sandwiches.
Part of what makes this Baked Fish Sandwich with Dill Tartar Sauce so good is the freshness of ingredients. This is a meal you can feel good about serving your family.
- Marine Harvest Tilapia Fillets - Mild, sweet, and firm yet flaky, this farm-raised fish comes from freshwater lakes that are selected for their superior water quality.
- Citrus Herb Seasoning - Enhances the natural flavors of the tilapia without overpowering it.
- Mayonnaise - The creamy base for the tartar sauce. Use a good quality for the most flavor. You can also use a plant based variety if desired.
- Fresh Dill - Bright, citrusy, fresh, and herbaceous this makes the tartar sauce completely savory.
- Capers - Adds a salty, briny note to the tartar sauce that pairs well with fish.
- Salt and Pepper - Enhances the flavors in the tartar sauce without over powering it.
- Lemon - Gives freshness to the tartar sauce with an acidic, sunny pop.
- Buns - Use your favorite kind. You want something soft so it doesn't complete with the delicate texture of the fish.
- Toppings - Add your favorites. Lettuce and a slice of juicy ripe tomato are always a good idea.
How to Make a Baked Fish Sandwich with Dill Tartar Sauce
Sandwich night has never been tastier than with these quick cooking baked tilapia sandwiches. Don't forget the French fries which are easy to Bake right alongside your fish.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Tender tilapia is baked and served with a tangy dill tartar sauce for the perfect weeknight meal.
Line a baking sheet with parchmant paper. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Add all of your ingredients for the tartar sauce to a bowl and mix to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
Place your fish on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the citrus herb seasoning over the fish. Allow it to bake for 15 minutes or until it's fork tender. Remove from the oven.
Place lettuce and a slice or two of ripe tomato on the bottom bun. Cut the fish in half and stack on top. Drizzle the dill tartar sauce over the top and then add the top bun. Dive in and enjoy!
While this makes a fantastic fish sandwich, you can also skip the bun and serve the baked tilapia with the dill and caper tartar sauce and your favorite sides. It pairs well with rice, a salad, green beans, a baked potato, or any of your favorites.
Capers , fish, and tartar sauce all pair well together. However you can replace the briny capers with finely chopped pickles if desired. It will give you a slightly different flavor profile but still be delicious.
A parchment paper lined baking sheet is a great way to bake fish. It prevents the delicate fish from sticking to even a nonstick baking sheet while also making for easy cleanup which is always a good thing.
Storage for Tartar Sauce
Making homemade tartar sauce is both easy, and rewarding. It allows you to totally customize the flavors to what you like while also being in control of the ingredients. Starting with a good quality mayonnaise, everything else is just fresh ingredients.
Don't be afraid to double up on the tartar sauce and use it throughout the week. It makes a great dipper for those fries or addition to tuna salad. If stored in an airtight container and refrigerated it will last for up to a week.
Top Tip for Baked Fish Sandwich with Dill Tartar Sauce
While your fish is baking, go ahead and pop in your favorite frozen French fries or tater tots too. What goes better with a filet-o-fish sandwich than a crispy on the outside, pillowy inside spud? And don't forget that tartar sauce for dipping!
Baked Fish Sandwich with Dill Tartar Sauce
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
- 12 oz Marine Harvest Tilapia Fillets
- 1 tsp citrus herb seasoning
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Burger buns
- toppings: lettuce, tomato
- Add the mayonnaise, dill, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and capers to a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the tilapia fillets on the parchment paper. Sprinkle the citrus herb seasoning over the top.
- Let the fish bake for 15 minutes or until it's fork tender.
- To assemble, place the lettuce and tomato on the bottom bun. Cut the fish in half and stack on top. Spoon the tartar sauce over the fish. Add the top bun.
Leave a Reply