Are you craving a delicious and easy-to-make meal that will transport you to the vibrant streets of Latin America? Look no further than Smoked Arroz con Pollo! This traditional dish combines tender chicken, aromatic rice, and a medley of flavorful ingredients that will tantalize your taste buds. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress.
Why You’ll Love Smoked Arroz con Pollo
- Bursting with Flavor: Smoked Arroz con Pollo is a symphony of flavors. The smoky grilled chicken, aromatic sofrito seasoning, tangy diced tomatoes, and briny green olives come together to create a tantalizing combination that will leave you craving more.
- Easy One-Pot Meal: With this recipe, you can enjoy a hearty and satisfying meal without spending hours in the kitchen. All the ingredients are cooked together in a skillet or casserole dish, minimizing the cleanup time and maximizing the flavors.
- Versatile and Customizable: While the recipe provides a classic combination of ingredients, you can easily customize it to suit your taste. Serve it with cooked plantains and avocado for a complete and nutritious meal.
Ingredients You Need To Make Smoked Arroz con Pollo
- Chicken stock
- Bay leaves
- Red bell pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Garlic cloves
- Green olives (pitted)
- Kosher salt
- Sofrito seasoning
- Chicken thighs (boneless/skinless)
- *optional: cooked plantains and/or avocado
How To Make Smoked Arroz con Pollo:
- Sear the chicken: Start by searing the chicken on a grill, smoker, or stovetop to add a beautiful color and enhance the flavor.
- Set up the smoker: Preheat your smoker to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Prepare the skillet: In a 12-inch skillet, combine all the ingredients, except the chicken. Place the seared chicken thighs on top.
- Seal and smoke: Cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil, ensuring it is sealed well. Place it in the preheated smoker.
- Cook for 30 minutes: Let the dish cook in the smoker for approximately 30 minutes, until the rice is almost completely cooked.
- Uncover and continue cooking: Remove the aluminum foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and fluffy.
- Serve and enjoy: Remove the skillet from the smoker, and your flavorful Smoked Arroz con Pollo is ready to be savored. Optional: Serve with cooked plantains and avocado for a delightful twist.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I cook Smoked Arroz con Pollo in the oven instead of using a smoker?
Yes, you can! Simply transfer the ingredients from the skillet to a casserole dish, seal it with aluminum foil, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) for the same cook time.
Can I use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs?
While the recipe calls for chicken thighs, you can certainly use chicken breasts if you prefer. However, keep in mind that chicken breasts may cook faster, so adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure they are cooked through.
What is sofrito seasoning, and where can I find it?
Sofrito seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices commonly used in Latin American cuisine. You can find it in the international aisle of most grocery stores, or you can make your own by combining ingredients like garlic, onion, bell peppers, cilantro, and cumin.
Smoked Arroz Con Pollo
- measuring spoons/cups
- Mixing Bowl
- 12-inch skillet or casserole dish
- Smoker/grill or oven
- Aluminum foil
- 1 cup rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup green olives pitted
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp sofrito seasoning
- 2 lbs chicken thighs I used boneless/skinless
- *optional serve with cooked plantains and avocado
- Sear the chicken on a grill/smoker or stovetop. Just to get some color.
- Set the smoker to 350 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients to a 12inch skillet and top with the chicken.
- Seal the dish with aluminum and place in the smoker.
- Cook for 30 minutes, rice should be almost completely cooked.
- Remove the tin foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked.
- Remove and enjoy!
Smoked Arroz con Pollo is a delightful dish that will win the hearts of both family and friends. The flavors of the smoky chicken, aromatic rice, and vibrant vegetables combine harmoniously, creating a satisfying meal that will transport you to the sunny streets of Latin America. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a one-pot wonder, making cleanup a breeze. So gather your ingredients, fire up the smoker or preheat the oven, and indulge in this mouthwatering culinary adventure!