Of all the desserts I’ve baked, recipes I’ve created, and food I’ve shared, my Ultimate Decadent Gluten Free Chocolate Cake is my most requested. When it comes to Gluten Free and Dairy Free, it shouldn’t be good despite being gluten or dairy free, it should just be good. This cake is a labor of love and I can only say, the best!
It takes multiple trial and errors and a few kitchen catastrophes to make the bold statement something is the best. This chocolate cake delivers on rich decadent flavor while also bringing moist tender texture.
Love At First Bite
There is a reason chocolate cake is a favorite for so many and a beloved comfort food. It's over the top richness should be a feast for the senses.
What makes this the Ultimate Decadent Gluten Free Chocolate Cake? First, let's talk texture. Cake needs to have that magical ability to draw you in and let you know it's going to be amazing from simply the way the fork sinks into the fudgy crumb.
When the moist little pieces cling to the tines of the fork, you know it's going to be a full experience. Dairy Free Greek yogurt brings that tenderizing moisture as well as tang to the chocolate party.
There are certain flavors that help chocolate taste even deeper and enhance the depth. This cake gets a one two boost from both espresso powder as well as freshly brewed coffee.
Espresso powder also finds its way into the light and fluffy frosting that caresses the layers and hugs the top of the cake. The combination between the texture and deep flavor of the cake and creamy frosting truly makes for the ultimate bite.
Ultimate Decadent Gluten Free Chocolate Cake, Step by Step
Just because something is the ultimate doesn't mean it's complicated. This cake is just as easy as it is delicious. It's all about a few simple steps.
Start with your eggs and sugar first. You want to beat them until the sugar is mostly dissolved and the eggs have gotten a little frothy and lighter in color.
Be gentle when adding in your dry ingredients. You don't want to over mix. It's always about that tender bite and over mixing can compromise that texture.
Always allow your cake to cool completely. Not only do you want it cool before frosting, this also helps with the shape and appearance.
Speaking of frosting, don't rush the process. You want you Dairy Free butter to be room temperature so allow it to sit out and relax. This will ensure you get that fluffy, creamy, spreadable texture.
Do you love chocolate as much as I do? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free S'mores Revel Bars with Rolled Oats. Now Let's get baking!
Ultimate Decadent Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 8" round cake pans
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 5 oz unsweetened Dairy Free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup oat milk
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 2 8" round cake pans with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add eggs and sugar and beat for 3 minutes until sugar is mostly dissolved and the eggs are frothy and lighter in color.
- Add the yogurt, vanilla, oil, and espresso powder and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Gently mix in the coffee.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Decorate with chocolate buttercream frosting.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix until the sugar and cocoa are completely incorporated and the frosting is smooth and creamy.