Some desserts just need to come with a warning because they are so dangerously good. Gluten Free Zucchini Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze falls into that category. Tender, moist, and irresistibly delicious, I know you will love this one as much as I do.
I love carrot cakes, such as my Gluten Free Spiced Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. There’s just something magic about the fully sensory experience of carrot cake. From the way it perfumes the kitchen as it bakes to that tender and moist bite, it’s such a warm and cozy dessert. This take on the classic carrot cake infuses even more flavor and texture into every bite.
Classic with a Twist
I love taking traditional recipes and giving them a little twist. Gluten Free Zucchini Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze is a perfect example.
This cake is almost a combination of zucchini bread and carrot cake. Both baked treats combine warm spices. With the double dose of both carrots and zucchini in this cake, it’s double the amount of moisture. As you sink your fork into that first slice and see it cling to the tines, you will know you’re in for a treat.
The base of this cake starts with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour. I love using this flour in both my savory and sweet recipes. It’s an even one to one swap for regular flour and doesn’t require any addition ingredients.
Cinnamon, cloves, and allspice bring the warm aromatics to this cake. In addition to the spices, the zest of an orange perfumes every bite. Pistachios add crunch in both the cake itself and also the finished glaze.
The flavor of pistachio continues on to the glaze itself. Pistachio extract is combined with Dairy Free cream cheese and Dairy Free butter, in addition to powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
How to Make Gluten Free Zucchini Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze
This delicious and dreamy confection comes together in just a few simple steps! Follow along for some helpful tips and the easy how to.
Time needed: 3 hours
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Decide on your cake pan. This recipe makes either two 8″ round cakes, or a 9×13. Spray your pan(s) of choice with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
After shredding your zucchini, you want to make sure it is well drained. You can either use a fine mesh strainer to push the excess juices out or add the shredded zucchini to cheese cloth and squeeze out all of the excess liquid.
- Batter Up!
Add your eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugars to a mixing bowl and mix for 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Be careful not to over mix.
- Bake it Up
Pour your batter your the prepared cake pans. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
Make sure your Dairy Free butter and Dairy Free cream cheese are at room temperature. Add all of your ingredients to a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy. Spread over the top of your cake and garnish with chopped pistachios if desired.
Top Tip for Gluten Free Zucchini Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Vanilla extract and pistachio extract both make an appearance in this recipe. Regardless of the flavor of extracts you use, the higher the quality the extract, the more pronounced the flavor.
Glute Free Zucchini Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 2 8" round cake pans or 1 9×13 cake pan
- 1 fine mesh strainer
Zucchini Carrot Cake
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded and drained
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 cup pistachios, chopped
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 baking flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Pistachio Cream Cheese Glaze
- 16 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pistachio extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- chopped pistachios for garnish, optional
Zucchini Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- This recipe makes either 2 8" round cakes or 1 9×13 cake. Spray your cake pan or pans with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Make sure your zucchini is well drained. Either press it through a fine mesh strainer or use cheese cloth to squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Add your eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour your batter into your prepared cake pan or pans.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Pistachio Cream Cheese Glaze
- Add all of your ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the tops of your cake or cakes.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios if desired.