What is your go to recipe when you have overripe bananas? It seems like bananas can go from not ready to eat to get these in banana bread STAT overnight. This Gluten Free Banana Caramel Upside Down Cake is destined to become your new favorite use for those bananas just past their cereal topping stage.
This cake is as easy as it's impressive. With bananas in the cake as well as on top, fruity flavor permeates every bite.
Welcome to the Upside Down
What's upside down is right side up when it comes to upside down cakes. Like a pineapple upside down cake, you're going to start with pouring a sauce over the bottom and then adding your fruit, in this case bananas.
Unlike a pineapple upside down cake you don't have to make a caramel first. This Gluten Free Banana Caramel Upside Down cake is as easy as opening a can, and making banana bread.
Instead of making caramel we're using condensed sweetened coconut milk. As the cake bakes it'll make its own sauce and caramelize the bananas as well as seep into the cake and create moisture.
Steps to Gluten Free Banana Caramel Cake Success
This is going to be one of the easiest cakes you will ever make. First, let's discuss one of the namesake ingredients, the bananas. There are a total of five bananas called for in this cake, three for the cake itself and two for the topping.
When you pick the bananas for the cake, you're going to want those must be used this second overly ripe bananas. They're going to get mixed into the batter and add their own natural sweetness. However the two bananas in the topping need to be more firm so they slice cleanly and hold their shape.
Just like in any cake, don't over mix. The final step in the batter is adding the walnuts. Just gently fold them in.
The final step in this Gluten Free Banana Caramel Upside Down Cake is the grand reveal. Don't be afraid of the flip. There is always that anticipation before flipping. Take a breath and just place that plate on top, and commit to the flip! You've got this and will totally impress and wow your family and friends.
Love bananas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Dairy Free Banana Coconut Cream Pie. Now let's get baking!
Gluten Free Banana Caramel Upside Down Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- 10" round cake pan or 7x10
- 2 ⅓ cups Gluten Free baking flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup Dairy Free butter, room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 can Dairy Free sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray your cake pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Spread the sweetened condensed coconut milk on the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the sliced bananas on top of the condensed milk.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs and sugar and beat for a couple of minutes until the sugar is mostly dissolved and the eggs are a little frothy. Add the bananas, butter, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour batter into the cake pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. The top will be lightly browned.
- Cool completely.
- You can serve directly out of the pan. You can also loosen the sides with a knife, and then using a large plate or cake stand flip the cake out so the bananas and caramel sauce are on top. Enjoy!