Sometimes the best dishes are the simplest. This Gluten and Dairy Free Spaghetti alla Carbonara celebrates beautiful ingredients. I love that it goes from the pan to the plate in less than half and hour.
With just seven beautiful ingredients including olive oil, this dish is perfect for an easy weeknight meal. Once you try that first bite this is sure to become part of your weekly meal planning.
I’ll Always Have Florence.
I remember the first time I ever tried spaghetti alla carbonara. It was in Florence, and I ordered it by accident. It is still one of the tastiest accidents I have ever made. This Gluten and Dairy Free Spaghetti alla Carbonara is a recreation of that beloved memory.
Spaghetti alla carbonara is a dish born in Rome. At its heart, it’s comprised of eggs, hard cheese such as Pecarino-Romano and/or Parmigiano-Reggiano, cured pork, and black pepper.
Each ingredient brings a little something special. The cheese provides that nutty, salty tang. The pork gives that savory unctuous bite. The eggs hug every twirl of spaghetti in a luxurious embrace. The pepper adds that bold spicy bite. Together they create perfect harmony.
What makes this recipe so special is the addition of Outside Table’s Simply SPG. The perfect balance of salt, pepper, and garlic are hand ground giving this rub an incredible texture that clings to every strand of pasta.
I love Outside Table’s products because they’re certified organic, Gluten Free, and crafted with regionally sourced ingredients.
Gluten and Dairy Free Spaghetti alla Carbonara, That’s Amore!
If you can bowl a pot of water, you can make this pasta. All you need is seven ingredients and 20 minutes. Let’s break it down.
- Pregame! Boil your Gluten Free spaghetti according to the directions. If you’re using a fresh pasta it usually cooks in 3 minutes or less.
- Mix your eggs and Dairy Free cheese together in a bowl, along with the Simply SPG. Set this aside.
- Heat your skillet on medium heat with the olive oil. Add your prosciutto and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and lightly browned.
- Turn off the heat. This is key. You want the residual heat to cook the egg/cheese mixture and if it’s too hot it will scramble instead.
- Add your drained pasta to the pan and pour the egg/cheese mixture over the pasta. Stir quickly to combine and coat every strand of spaghetti in the sauce. It will naturally thicken. Using tongs helps this process go fast.
- Plates are optional for Gluten and Dairy Free Spaghetti alla Carbonara. If you want to eat straight from the pan, no judgement! It is that good.
If you’re looking for more pasta inspiration, make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Southern Pimento Mac and Cheese. Now let’s get cooking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Spaghetti alla Carbonara
- Stock Pot
- Large skillet
- 1 pkg Gluten Free spaghetti
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz Dairy Free parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Simply SPG
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic, sliced thinly or minced
- 4 oz prosciutto
- Cook your Gluten Free spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.
- Thoroughly mix your eggs, Simply SPG, and parmesan in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil.
- Add your prosciutto and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and lightly golden.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add your spaghetti and pour over the egg/cheese mixture. Work quickly to toss, making sure every strand of spaghetti is coated. The sauce should thicken.
- Buon appetito!