I love make ahead desserts, especially around the holidays. On the day of, the oven is prime real estate for the hams, turkeys, casseroles, and everything else. It’s nice to have something already ready for dessert. This Gluten and Dairy Free Butterscotch Pecan Pie is sure to become a new holiday favorite in your house.
If you’ve been following me for awhile, you know I’m known for my chocolate cake. It’s one of my most requested treats from family and friends. I served this dessert next to my chocolate cake at Thanksgiving and it was the first to disappear. It’s that good.
Layering Up the Flavor
This Gluten and Dairy Free Butterscotch Pecan Pie is all about building those beautiful layers of flavor. Tangy, buttery, sweet, and completely irresistible, every layer compliments the next.
Every pie needs a good crust, and the crust of this dessert packs tons of pecan flavor. We’re making a pecan shortbread crust. Rich, buttery, and easy, it gets its flavor from Amoretti Natural Pecan Flour.
The next layer combines the tang of Dairy Free cream cheese and the sweet kiss of Amoretti Butterscotch Extract. I love Amoretti and their incredible line of products. From nut flours and pastes to artisanal flavorings and syrups, and so many different products in between, they have something for all of your baking needs.
Next up is the creamy, dreamy luxurious layer of homemade butterscotch pudding. This also gets a boost of flavor from the Amoretti Butterscotch Extract. With a texture like velvet, you won’t be able to resist stealing a spoonful or two before it even makes it to the pie.
What’s a layered pie without a fluffy cloud of crowning topping? Pick your favorite Dairy Free whipped topped to spread on top. Because this needs to chill for the layers to set, this dessert is perfect for making ahead as it gets even better the next day.
Stacking Up Gluten and Dairy Free Butterscotch Pecan Pie
This easy and sweet treat is all about building those layers. I will take you step by step so you can wow your friends and family with this creamy confection.
- In crust we trust! Preheat your oven to 350 and spray a 7×10 baking dish with nonstick baking spray. Make sure your Dairy Free butter is room temp. Using a fork blend your crust ingredients together.
- Make sure your crust is evenly pressed into your baking dish. You can use your hands or the bottom of a measuring cup for this. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow the crust to cool completely before adding the next layer.
- For the Dairy Free cream cheese/cheesecake portion of this, simply mix all of your ingredients together until smooth. You want your cream cheese to be room temperature t ensure there are no lumps. Spread this on top of the shortbread crust.
- For the butterscotch pudding, you’re going to make a custard. Bring your oat milk to a boil. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks and egg, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Once the oat milk is boiling add a spoonful to the egg mixture, whisking constantly to combine. Add in another spoonful and whisk. This is called tempering the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into the oat milk and continually whisk with the heat on medium-low. Continue to stir until it becomes thick and luscious. Remove from the heat and add your butterscotch flavoring.
- Place the pudding mixture into an airtight container and allow it to cool completely in the refrigerator.
- To finish your Gluten and Dairy Free Butterscotch Pecan Pie, spread the butterscotch pudding on top of the cream cheese layer, and top with your favorite whipped topping. The longer this chills, the more it will the flavors will develop and it sets.
Are you looking for more easy make ahead desserts? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Pecan Pie Bars with Date Syrup. Now let’s get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Butterscotch Pecan Pie
- 7"x10" baking dish
- mixing bowls
Pecan Shortbread Crust
- 1 1/4 cup Amoretti Premium Natural Pecan Flour
- 1/2 cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
Butterscotch Cream Cheese
- 16 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Amoretti Natural Butterscotch extract
- 2 cups oat milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp Amoretti Natural Butterscotch Extract
- Dairy Free whipped cream or whipped topping
Pecan Shortbread Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 7×10 baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Add all of your crust ingredients to a bowl. Using a fork blend together. The mixture should be a little sandy.
- Press crust into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
Butterscotch Cream Cheese
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Mix thoroughly until creamy and combined.
- Spread cream cheese onto the cooled crust.
- Heat a pot with the oat milk over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, egg, sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add a spoonful of the hot oat milk to the egg mixture, continuously whisking. Add another spoonful while continuing to whisk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot oat milk and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Whisk the entire time. Allow the mixture to thicken. It will become silky and pudding like.
- Take off the heat and add the butterscotch flavoring.
- Transfer the butterscotch pudding to an airtight container and refrigerate until fully cooled.
- Spread the cooled butterscotch pudding on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Top with whipped topping.