The holidays are just around the corner and with them all of the parties and festivities. Wow your friends and family at your next brunch with these Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls.
There is something magical about the whole sensory experience of cinnamon rolls, such as Gluten and Dairy Free S'mores Cinnamon Rolls. The aromatic smell that wafts through the entire house, that first warm and slightly gooey bite, the soft, pillowy dough and the soft pillowy dough make them an occasion unto themselves.
The best part of Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls, other than their irresistible flavor, is the easily accessible ingredients. You will love this recipe for the tender texture, warm and cozy flavors, and the fact you already have almost everything in your pantry.
- Dairy Free Butter - Used in both the cinnamon rolls and also the cinnamon filling. Adds richness and moisture.
- Oat Milk - Adds moisture and a tender texture to the cinnamon rolls.
- Honey - Adds depth of flavor to the banana bread cinnamon rolls while also helping to feed the yeast.
- Sugar - Adds sweetness to the yeast rolls while also helping to feed the yeast.
- Warm Water - This helps activate the yeast and let it bloom.
- Kosher Salt - Enhances all of the flavors of the ingredients.
- Bananas - Ripe bananas not only provide natural sweetness to the rolls, but they also help them retain their tender and moist texture.
- Gluten Free Flour - Bob's Red Mill is my go-to flour for both savory and sweet baking.
- Brown Sugar - Used in the filling, it adds a slight caramel flavor that pairs well with the bananas.
- Cinnamon - The star of every cinnamon roll. I like to use Spiceology spices and seasonings. This chef created company makes all of their products in small batches, guaranteeing the freshest flavors.
- Dairy Free Heavy Cream - Helps make the cinnamon rolls extra moist and fluffy. Country Crock Plant Cream is the ideal texture and flavor.
- Cream Cheese - Use your favorite Dairy Free cream cheese to create the tangy, nutty frosting that hugs these rolls.
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar - Adds sweetness to the peanut butter cream cheese frosting.
- Creamy Peanut Butter - Banana's best friend. This adds nutty flavor to the tangy cream cheese frosting.
How to Make Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls
While there are a few steps to creating these banana bread cinnamon rolls, they're easy to follow and portions can be prepared ahead of time. These are the ultimate make ahead rolls that will be perfect for your next holiday morning.
Time needed: 3 hours and 30 minutes.
Add the warm water, honey, half of the sugar, and the yeast to a bowl. Stir to combine and allow it to sit for five minutes. It should become slightly bubbly.
Add the remaining sugar, butter, and oat milk to a saucepan over medium heat. Let the mixture bubble slightly but not come to a boil. Remove from the heat and let it partially cool.
Mix the banana and egg in a mixer fitted with a paddle. Add the yeast mixture to the banana mixture and mix to combine. With the mixer still running, slowly pour in the milk mixture.
Mix in half of the flour at a time until all of the flour is just incorporated. The dough will be sticky. Dust the outside of the doughball with flour.
Place the doughball into an oiled glass bowl and cover it with a towel. Allow it to rest in a warm spot for an hour. It should double in size.
Mix together the filling ingredients. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and begin to gently work it, careful not to press out any of the air bubbles. Roll the dough to about a 9x12 rectangle. Spread the filling mixture onto the dough and roll tightly. Cut it into 9 slices.
Butter a 9x11 baking dish. Place the rolls into the baking dish and cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Allow them to rise for an hour.
Remove the plastic wrap and towel. Pour the heavy cream over the top of the rolls and allow them to bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Let cool completely.
Mix together all of the ingredients for the frosting until smooth and creamy. Frost the tops of the rolls.
- Mixer with Paddle Attachment - Using a mixer with a paddle attachment helps these yeast rolls come together quickly without overmixing.
- Plastic Wrap - During the second rise, the combination of plastic wrap and a kitchen towel creates a warm and moist environment.
- 9x11 Baking Dish - Pick a baking dish that will accommodate the rise of the rolls.
- Kitchen Towel - Helps create a warm, clean environment for the two rising periods.
In addition to being Gluten Free these rolls are also Dairy Free. You can replace the dairy free products with regular butter and heavy cream in this recipe.
In addition, with so many allergens and food sensitivities, I am always looking for ways to make my recipes accessible to everyone. If you or one of your friends or family have a tree nut allergy, the peanut butter in this recipe can be replaced with sunflower seed butter.
In addition to providing its own unique flavor that is a great swap for peanut butter, sunflower seed butter also offers up additional nutrients. It's rich in protein, vitamin E, fiber, zinc, and iron.
Top Tip for Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls
This cinnamon roll recipe is a great make ahead dish. You can make the rolls up to the point of where they rest in the baking dish. Allow them to refrigerate until you're ready to bake them. When ready to bake, let them sit at room temperature for at least an hour and then pour the cream on and bake them according to the directions.
Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 mixer with paddle attachment
- 1 9x11 baking dish
- 1 stockpot
- mixing bowls
Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- ½ cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup water, warm
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pkg instant active yeast
- 1 cup ripe banana, about 2 medium bananas
- 3 ½ cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour, plus an additional ½-1 cup for working the dough
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Dairy Free heavy cream
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Dairy Free cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls
- Lightly oil a bowl and set it aside.
- in a separate bowl add the warm water, yeast, honey, and half of the sugar. Mix to combine and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. It will become a little foamy and begin to bubble.
- Add the butter, milk, salt, and remaining sugar to a saucepan on medium heat. Allow it to come to a simmer where bubbles are just forming on the outer edge, but don't let it boil. Remove from the heat and allow it to partially cool.
- Place the banana and egg in a mixing bowl with the mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix until smooth.
- Mix the yeast mixture into the banana mixture. Slowly pour in the milk mixture with the paddle running.
- Add the flour, ½ a cup at a time, until fully incorporated.
- The dough will be sticky. Lightly flour the doughball and place it into the oiled bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow it to rise for an hour in a warm spot. It should double in size.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Place the dough out onto the work area and begin to gently work it by folding it over about 8 times. Be careful not to press out too many air bubbles.
- Roll the dough out into a 9x12 rectangle.
- Mix together the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Spread the mixture onto the dough.
- Roll the dough tightly and cut into 9 rolls.
- Butter a 9x11 baking dish. Place the rolls into the baking dish. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Allow them to rise for an additional hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the towel and plastic wrap from the baking dish.
- Pour the heavy cream all over the top of the rolls.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix together the ingredients for the frosting until smooth and silky.
- Frost the top of the cooled cinnamon rolls.