I love cherries. If there is cherry anything on a menu, you can be certain I am ordering it. This Gluten Free Double Cherry Black Forest Cake is one of my favorites.
Growing up in Michigan, cherries and summer went hand in hand. Whenever I cook with cherries it's always like instant nostalgia. What better way to celebrate that than with a true classic confection?
Celebrating the Classics
Black Forest is such a classic cake. This Gluten Free Double Cherry Black Forest Cake gives you all of the familiar flavors you love while being completely Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
Of all of the things I make, my chocolate cake has always been the number one request by both my friends and my family. After multiple tries and tweaks, I finally nailed the perfect combination of ingredients that result in that irresistible rich, tender, moist bite. It was only natural to take that winning recipe and turn it into a total celebration of all things cherry.
Part of what makes my recipe for chocolate cake so delicious is the addition of both espresso powder, and freshly brewed coffee. The coffee provides moisture while working with the espresso powder to amplify and enhance the deep chocolate flavor. In addition to the coffee, I also use Dairy Free unsweetened Greek yogurt this adds tang to balance the sweet while also ensuring every bite is tender and moist.
For the black forest portion of this cake we're using a one two punch of cherry flavor. Cherry pie filling is combined with fresh cherries for that ideal balance of sweet, tart, tangy, and gorgeously glossy and glazed. Use your favorite cherry pie filling for this recipe.
Breaking Down Gluten Free Double Cherry Black Forest Cake
In just a few simple steps you will be on your way to slicing into this luxurious cake and wowing your friends and family. I will take you step by step and break it down.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8" round cake pans with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add your eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat on high for 3 minutes. The sugar should be mostly dissolved, and the mixture should be light and frothy.
- Add the vanilla, yogurt, oil, and espresso powder and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix them until they're just combined. Don't over mix! Be gentle with your batter.
- Add the coffee and mix to combine.
- Divide the batter for your Gluten Free Double Cherry Black Forest Cake between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- To create your filling mix together your freshly pitted cherries with the cherry pie filling.
- Slice the two cakes in half so you have four layers.
- Spread ⅓ of the cherry filling on the top of the first slice of cake. Top with Dairy Free whipped cream.
- Stack the next cake on top and repeat with the cherry filling and whipped cream. Continue with the layers.
- Spread whipped topping over the top of the cake and garnish with Dairy Free chocolate shavings.
Are you looking for more chocolate cake inspiration? Make sure to check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Chocolate Bumpy Cake. Now let's get baking!
Gluten Free Double Cherry Black Forest Cake
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 2 8" round cake pans
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 5 oz Dairy Free unsweetened Greek yogurt.
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Black Forest Filling
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
- 21 oz cherry pie filling
- 16 oz Dairy Free whipped cream
- chocolate shavings for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8" round cake pans with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- Add eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl. Beat on high for 3 minutes until sugar is mostly dissolved and the eggs are frothy.
- Add the vanilla, oil, yogurt, and epsresso powder. Mix to combine.
- Add in all of the dry ingredients, mixing to just incorporate. Do not over mix.
- Add in the coffee and mix to just combine.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans.
- Bake the cakes for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cook completely before frosting.
- Mix the fresh cherries with the cherry pie filling.
- Slice the first cake in half, creating two layers. Repeat with the second cake.
- Place one slice of cake down. Spread whipped cream over the top and then add ⅓ of the cherry filling.
- Stack the next layer of cake on top. Spread some of the whipped cream, and another ⅓ of the cherry filling.
- Repeat with the remaining layers.
- Spread whipped cream over the top of the cake. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
Leave a Reply