Some recipes instantly connect us to people and memories. This Gluten and Dairy Free German Raspberry cake instantly reminds me of one of my good friends who is from Germany. When she was telling me about it I knew I needed to create a version.
I love when recipe inspirations come from those closest to us. It makes the process from baking to serving it up to those we love even more special. This recipe is sure to become the start of memories for your family and friends.
Flavor in the Layers
This Gluten and Dairy Free German Raspberry Cake is all about the layers. It combines a delicate and moist sponge cake with fresh raspberries, a decadent layer of pastry cream, and an optional strawberry jelly glaze.
I love this recipe because it's easy and customizable. You can take the help of the grocery store and for part of this recipe which makes it perfect for any occasion.
The tart pop of the fresh raspberries ties in perfectly with the lightly sweet sponge cake. While I am using raspberries in this recipe you can easily replace them with fresh strawberries. Use what you like, and also what is fresh and in season.
The custard in this recipe is the canvas that ties the fresh fruit to the airy cake. You can use your favorite pastry cream recipe, including one I have in my Gluten Free Eclairs with Dairy Free Pastry Cream. You can also take help of your favorite brand of instant pudding.
Easy Gluten and Dairy Free German Raspberry Cake
This fresh and colorful cake is as easy as it's delicious. I will walk you through all the steps with a few tips so you can create this stunning and elegant confection.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray an 11" tart pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Let your Dairy Free butter come to room temperature. This will help the batter come together easily and smoothly without over mixing.
- Mix your butter and sugar in a bowl for 3 minutes. This process is called creaming. The mixture should get a little light and fluffy.
- Add your eggs and mix in.
- Add your remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
- This isn't a thick cake. It bakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool your Gluten and Dairy Free German Raspberry Cake completely before moving onto the next step.
- Spread a layer of your favorite pastry cream or instant pudding over the top. If using instant pudding cut back on the Dairy Free milk mix it on high to get it nice and thick.
- Top with fresh raspberries or strawberries.
- If desired glaze with strawberry jelly. You can also melt strawberry or raspberry jam to use as a glaze.
Now that I know you're dreaming of a slice of this sweet treat, let's get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free German Raspberry Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- 11" tart pan
- 1 ⅓ cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup oat milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
German Raspberry Cake Toppings
- Pastry cream or instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups raspberries
- ⅓ cup strawberry jelly, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 11" tart pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add your butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix in.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tart pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- To assemble spread a layer of pastry cream or vanilla pudding over the top of the cake. Top with raspberries.
- If adding the strawberry jelly pour over the top of the raspberries and allow to chill for 20 minutes. Enjoy!