Some dishes seem to just induce instant nostalgia. From the smell of it baking to that first bite. Anything with apples, from pie to crisp, seems to bring out a happy memory for so many. This Gluten and Dairy Free Caramel Apple Crisp is the perfect dessert to create new memories with.
There's something magic about apples bubbling away in sugar and spices. They're transformed into irresistible sticky bites that beg for a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a spoon.
Not only is this Gluten and Dairy Free Apple Crisp one of the most delicious desserts you can make, it's also easy. The most laborious part is peeling and chopping your apples.
Apple crisp is the ideal dessert year round. It's equally at home in a backyard summertime barbecue as it is on your Christmas dessert table. I love this recipe because you can just as easily bake it on your grill as you can in your oven.
This apple crisp gets a double dose of caramel flavor from the sugar that thickens and forms the sauce as it bakes and also from the natural caramel flavor of dates. The dates add a depth of flavor while also giving this dish even more texture.
The crispy crumbly topping that keeps you going back for another bite is also filled with texture. Equal parts crunchy pecans and comforting oats make up the bulk of this topping.
In addition the warmth of cinnamon and allspice perfume the apples and sauce while the flavor of cinnamon is echoed in the streusel topping. This is one of those dishes that will have you craving the next bite!
Gluten and Dairy Free Caramel Apple Crisp, Easier than Pie
If you can chop an apple, this is the dessert for you. I will break down all of the steps so you're on your way to serving up your family's new favorite treat.
- Pick an apple suite for baking. Granny Smith, Fuji, and Jonahgold are all great options but pick your favorite.
- Make sure your apple pieces are similar sizes. This will help the crisp bake up evenly and give it that great texture.
- Cast iron or baking dish? Depending on what method you use to bake your Gluten and Dairy Free Apple Crisp will decide which vessel you bake this is. If you bake this on your grill I recommend at least a 12" cast iron skillet. However if you bake this use your favorite baking dish.
- You want your Dairy Free butter to be cold when making your crumble topping. It should resemble pebbled sand.
- If you are baking this on the grill you want your grill preheated to 400 degrees. If you're baking this in the oven preheat to 375 degrees. It bakes for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Are you looking for more apple recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Festive Candied Apple Pie Bars. Now let's get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Caramel Apple Crisp
- 5 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups pecans, chopped
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup Dairy Free butter, cold
- ½ cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- If grilling, preheat oven grill to 400 degrees. If baking in the oven preheat the oven to 375.
- Mix all of your ingredients for the caramelized apples together. If grilling pour them into a cast iron skillet at least 12". For the oven add to a baking dish.
- For the crisp topping mix all of the ingredients together. You can use your hands to break up the butter. It should resemble pebbled sand.
- Top the apples with the crisp topping. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with your favorite Dairy Free ice cream. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply