Valentine's Day is just around the corner and what better way to start the day and celebrate love than with a sweet treat? Gluten and Dairy Free Almond French Toast is the perfect way to toast the love of your life, family, and friends. The best part, it bakes in the oven and comes together in less than thirty minutes.
There's something about French toast that just makes any meal into an occasion. Whether it's Gluten Free Blackberry French Toast Casserole, or this version of the classic French pastry bostock, it has the ability to make breakfast, brunch, lunch, or the best, breakfast for dinner, all the more special.
Gluten and Dairy Free Almond French Toast requires only a handful of ingredients, many of them pantry staples. Combining your favorite Gluten Free bread with the buttery, sweet, and nutty bite of almond paste, this French-inspired creation is sure to become a new favorite.
- Gluten Free Bread - Use your favorite Gluten Free bread for this recipe such as Canyon Bakehouse. Using a white or sweet bread will be the closest to French bostock.
- Almond Paste - The base of the filling for this stuffed French toast. Similar to marzipan, but with a texture that is slightly coarser. It is made from equal parts almonds and sugar with a little cooking oil, eggs, heavy cream, or corn syrup used as a binder.
- Powdered Sugar - Used in both the almond filling, and also the topping for this baked French toast.
- Eggs - Creates the custard for the bread while also acting as a binder for the almond paste filling.
- Sugar - Adds a little sweetness to the custard for the bread.
- Orange Juice - Gives a sunny pop to the custard for the French toast.
- Dairy Free Milk - Use your favorite such as oat milk. Make sure that it is unsweetened.
- Almond Extract - Echoes the flavor of the almond paste and also the crunchy almond topping.
- Sliced Almonds - Gives texture to every bite.
- Toppings - Completely optional, but you can finish off this bostock with powdered sugar and maple syrup if desired.
How to Make Gluten and Dairy Free Almond French Toast
Unlike some French toast recipes that will have you dipping and flipping at the griddle, this is a baked French toast recipe making it perfect for not only a faster breakfast, but for serving to a group. This recipe can easily be doubled and tripled.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
This stuffed baked French toast combines an almond paste filling with a delicate orange custard and crispy topping.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add the almond paste, two eggs, and powdered sugar to a blender or mixer and beat until smooth.
Add the remaining egg, milk, almond extract, orange juice, and sugar to a bowl and mix to combine.
Dip the first four pieces of bread into the custard mixture and lay out onto the prepared baking sheet.
Divide the almond filling between the four slices of bread.
Dip the remaining four slices of bread into the custard and top off your French toast. Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the top.
Allow the bostock to bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown.
Let cool for ten minutes. Garnish with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup if desired. Enjoy!
This recipe is completely Gluten Free and Dairy Free. However, you can use your favorite regular bread and dairy milk for this recipe.
Almond extract gives this stuffed French toast extra flavor. However, if you don't have almond extract you can replace it with vanilla extract.
Skip heating up the griddle and make this Gluten and Dairy Free Almond French Toast. Baked French toast makes it easy to make multiples at a time. You only need a few special tools.
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowl
Top Tip for Gluten and Dairy Free Almond French Toast
If you don't have almond paste you can make your own. Add equal portions of blanched almonds and powdered sugar to a blender, 1 ½ cups each, along with an egg white. Blend until it is smooth. You can keep it refrigerated for up to a month and also freeze it. It will last in the freezer for three months.
Gluten and Dairy Free Almond French Toast
- 1 Blender
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
- 8 slices Gluten Free bread
- 7 oz almond paste
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- ¾ cup Dairy Free milk
- 1 tsp almond extract can substitute with vanilla extract
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar, for topping optional
- maple syrup for topping optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the almond paste, 2 eggs, and powdered sugar to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining egg, milk, orange juice, extract, and sugar to a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Dip 4 slices of bread into the custard and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Divide the almond filling between the 4 slices and spread out.
- Dip the remaining 4 slices of bread into the custard and top off the French toast.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the top.
- Bake the French toast for 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup if desired.
Leave a Reply